The new department has its headquarters on the Ludwig Bölkow Campus in Taufkirchen/Ottobrunn. In cooperation with local companies and research institutions, a new department building is being built with offices, laboratories, test halls, business incubator, and student infrastructure .
Further locations are Garching (TUM research campus), Oberpfaffenhofen (DLR and research airport) and Munich (TUM main campus). In this triangle, the department benefits from the cooperation with established industrial and research institutions. In this way, the competencies in the Munich metropolitan region will be concentrated in an unprecedented way.
The new department uses the location advantages in this triangle and creates an unrivalled competence network. There are strategic alliances with:
- Industrieanlagen-Betriebsgesellschaft mbH (IABG), Airbus, Bauhaus Luftfahrt, Munich Aerospace, Ludwig Bölkow Campus GmbH (all of them in Taufkirchen/Ottobrunn)
- Bundeswehr University (Neubiberg)
- German Aerospace Center (DLR), OHB System AG (both in Oberpfaffenhofen)
- MTU Aero Engines AG (Munich)
- Startups and high-tech supplier industries in the Munich, Augsburg and Ingolstadt area
With the Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM), the Munich Center for Technology in Society (MCTS) and other TUM departments, further synergies are achieved within the university.