The new department will create an unrivalled competence network in the Munich metropolitan region, harnessing the benefits of its location within the Ottobrunn/Taufkirchen – Garching – Oberpfaffenhofen triangle. Strategic alliances are in place with:
- Industrieanlagen-Betriebsgesellschaft mbH (IABG), Airbus, Bauhaus Luftfahrt, Munich Aerospace and Ludwig Bölkow Campus GmbH (all Ottobrunn/Taufkirchen)
- Universität der Bundeswehr (University of the Federal Armed Forces) (Neubiberg)
- German Aerospace Center (DLR) and OHB System AG (both Oberpfaffenhofen)
- MTU Aero Engines AG (München)
- Startups and high-tech suppliers in the Munich, Augsburg and Ingolstadt areas
It will also create additional synergies within the university, particularly across the Munich School of Robotics and Machine Intelligence (MSRM), the Munich Center for Technology in Society (MCTS) and the other TUM departments.
The headquarters of the new faculty will be at the Ludwig Bölkow Campus in Ottobrunn/Taufkirchen. A new faculty building will be constructed in collaboration with the companies and research institutions located there, complete with offices, laboratories, test facilities, a start-up center and student infrastructure.
The department will also be represented at the Garching (TUM research campus), Oberpfaffenhofen (German Aerospace Center and research airport) and Munich (main TUM campus) sites. This will ensure it is ideally placed to benefit from partnerships with established industrial and research institutions in the Munich metropolitan region. All of this will bring an unparalleled depth and range of expertise to the greater Munich area.